Summit Mineral Salt Blocks - Twinliks
Summit TwinLix Salt Block. Common salt (sodium chloride) is an essential constituent of an animals diet. Summit TwinLix Salt Block provides essential trace minerals (Cu, Zn, Co, I, Se) with salt as a carrier. The blocks can be used all year round with all stock classes except Texel sheep (as copper supplements can be toxic to Texel’s). TwinLix are sold in a convenient carry pack of 2 x 2.5kg blocks. Pack of two.
Summit Multimineral Salt Block 20kg. TwinLix in one 20kg block.
Dose Rates: Make salt blocks freely available as required
- 20kg blocks – sheep, goats, camelids – 1 block per 50 head, 1 block should last +50 days, consumption 5-10g/head/day
- 20kg blocks – cattle, deer, horses – 1 block per 10 head, 1 block should last +50 days, consumption 15-25g/head/day
- 2.5kg blocks – sheep, goats, camelids – 1 block per 10 head, 1 block should last +20 days, consumption 5-10g/head/day
- 2.5kg blocks – cattle, deer, horses – 1 block per head, 1 block should last +75 days, consumption 15-25g/head/day
- For animal treatment only.
- Make sure animals have access to fresh water when feeding salt.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose rates.
- Do not use at the same time as any other selenised fertilizer prill or product without consulting a veterinarian.
- Do not use with other copper supplements, including compound feeds, especially with young animals, without consulting a veterinarian.
Sodium and Production
Salt is lost in milk, urine, faeces, sweat and saliva. And it is not insignificant – a cow milking 20 litres/day can lose the equivalent of 35g of salt in the milk each day. Pasture can be low in sodium and bulk feeds are often deficient. The benefits of sodium supplementation have been demonstrated in NZ and overseas.
Animals have a strong appetite for salt but individual salt needs will vary. Factors influencing needs include:
- Sodium and chloride levels in the pasture
- Sodium and chloride levels in the water
- The production cycle – growth, reproduction and lactation will increase requirements
- Temperature/humidity – sweating will increase sodium requirements
- Potassium levels in the diet – animals will try to balance high potassium feeds with additional salt to maintain fluid balance
- Low sodium levels in bulk feeds
Summit Salt Blocks are a cost effective way of supplementing essential minerals while providing the salt required to maintain production and health.
- Salt in some form should be available at all times all year round
- Salt blocks should be available at all times when grazing Lucerne
- More salt is available to lactating, young and growing animals
- More salt is available when feeding fibrous feeds
- Salt blocks should be available when grazing pasture recently fertilized with potassium
The following minerals are used in the Summit Salt Block range:
|Calcium, Ca||Component of bones and teeth. Required for nerve and muscle function||Severe growth stunting. Dental issues|
|Magnesium, Mg||Required by enzymes/hormones and for the nervous system||Grass staggers, milk fever|
|Sodium, Na||Maintains fluid balance, required for nerve function, maintains pH in the rumen||Reduced appetite, abnormal licking, reduced production|
|Copper, Cu||Bone growth, pigmentation, enzymes||Lameness, illthrift, faded coat, poor conception rates|
|Selenium, Se||Important in the production of anti-oxidant and functioning of the immune system||Illthrift, diarrhoea, abortion, retained placenta, white muscle disease in lambs|
|Cobalt, Co||Required for vitamin B12 production, which is important for protein metabolism||Illthrift, loss of appetite, reduced milk production|
|Iodine, I||Essential for thyroid function which controls development and metabolism||Enlarged thyroid, low milk production, low reproductive efficiency, lamb mortality|
|Zinc, Zn||Essential for enzyme systems, immunity and hoof health||Reduced appetite, low growth rates; wool, hoof and horn weakness|